10 Tips for an Abundant Day
Here are my 10 tips that will hopefully become new habits for you. If they do, you will start feeling like you created an abundant day and the results will be even better than you are capable of imaging right now!
- Write a list of the most important things you need to do today. Organize tasks by whether they are mentally challenging (writing, creating, planning), physically challenging (running an errand, dropping something off, picking something up) or emotionally challenging (difficult conversations with people you care about). I like to address the most mentally challenging ones at the start of the day and tackle the others throughout the day.
- Be realistic about your task list. You won’t feel like “day slayer” if there are 20 tasks left on the list when you lay your head to the pillow at night.
- Set an alarm clock. Be deliberate about each moment, including the moment you wake up. We are creatures of habits and our internal clocks are easily set. Don’t fall prey to sloppy morning sleepiness. Create your morning ritual and own it! When the morning slips through the cracks, the cracks widen.
- Dress for the day like some magical sh*t is about to happen. Wear something that makes you feel like you’re about to get something done! When you look good, you feel good and when you feel good, nothing gets in your way. Be deliberate about this.
- Cop some gratitude. I’m grateful that I get to do this work even though it’s hard. You can’t feel like you live an abundant life if you’re resentful about everything you have to do. So be deliberate about having a grateful mindset. Recondition yourself to use language like “I get to, rather than I have to.” When you make this transformative shift, everything about you will feel (and appear) more positive.
- Make 3 new contacts daily. Whether it’s chatting with a stranger while in line at the post office, an introduction to a new professional contact or a friend of a friend, enhance your network by connecting with others. There’s a big giant world of people out there and you don’t want to sell yourself short by hibernating.
- Set a mindset to come into agreement with the people you love. When your relationships suffer, so do you. Constant bickering and daily disagreements leave loved ones full of resentment and leave you irritated and frustrated. C’mon, that’s no way to feel at the end of a day.
- Be deliberate about what you eat and drink. Whether your day starts with a smoothie or a donut, a coffee or a milkshake, you and only you, get to make that decision. Don’t beat yourself up over the food you eat. If today’s choices didn’t make you feel good, tomorrow make different ones.
- If you’re faith-filled, pray. If you meditate, meditate. If you sing, sing. Raffi says, “You gotta sing when the spirit says, sing. You gotta dance when the spirit says dance. You gotta laugh when the spirit says, laugh.” I say you gotta dial in so that you hear the spirit. If you’re angry and resentful, you won’t hear the spirit when it tries to move you!
- Lift someone else up. When we give to others, we are also rewarded. There is no greater feeling than inspiring another human being to reach their full potential or pursue a deeply rooted dream. Do a favor, share some words, lean in for someone in need. All of this contributes to a powerful and abundant day.
Do these things and you will breathe new life into your bad*ss self! They will also result in creating a more abundant day which leads to a more abundant life! Be sure to pop in a mid-day reward. whether it’s a quick trip to Starbucks or lunch with a friend, or 15 minutes of rockin’ out in your car.
These small self-care moments are essential to your self-worth. Be good to yourself and be sure to take a moment to smell the flowers as you busily move through the garden.
Authored by: Randy “The Rock n’ Roll Doula” Patterson