Top 10 Questions to Ask a Doula
- Will you answer my questions without bias?
- Will you judge me if I make different decisions than you would?
- Will you respect the relationship my partner and I have, even with all of its imperfections?
- Are you equipped with a variety of strategies for supporting all types of labor and birth?
- Are you competent and capable?
- Are you accountable and available?
- Do you have a back-up system in place in the event that you are unavailable?
- Do you have a legal contract in place?
- Did you take a hands on, in-person doula training?
- Are you supported by a reputable organization with a grievance policy in place?
These top 10 questions to ask a doula, will give you a great starting point when you meet with doulas.
Remember these 3 rules:
- Allow the conversation to flow naturally as if you are meeting a friend.
- Try to imagine this person supporting you and your partner as you welcome your baby.
- Trust your intuition!